Saturday, July 21, 2012

Chinese congee

Looking for comfort food tonight in our unheated tropical home - but we are not real hungry which screams "Soup!" to me. 
I pulled out my Chinese cooking class notes (circa 1978) and thought the Thermomix could do the work for me
I just made a fresh batch of vegie stock from the EDC but you can use fresh made stock or good quality stock cubes for this dish



Start with 3/4 cup of rice, 2 tablespoons stock paste, and 4 cups of water. Insert butterfly. Cook 20 minutes 100 deg, reverse speed soft.







It should look like this:

Add a teaspoon of soy sauce and a splash of sesame oil. Cook another 7-10 minutes 100 deg reverse speed soft. Keep an eye on it as you can overcook at this stage - you are looking for a porridge consistency, not a risotto. Add water or reduce cooking time if you need to.
please excuse the steam on the lens
While it cooks chop your vegies - I chose chives and lettuce (baby cos) tonight and any protein you are adding. You can put shredded chicken or chinese pork, or make a wee omelette and slice it up. Tonight I used a boiled egg. Because it was there.


Plate up - congee in the bottom, ther rest on the top. Drizzle with soy sauce and sprinkle with some white pepper. And enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment